Staff Selection Commission conducts Combined Graduate Level Examination (SSC – CGL) for recruitment to different Group B and Group C Central Civil posts – Inspector /Assistant /Sub Inspector / Divisional Accountant /Statistical Officer/ Auditor/Accountant/Junior Accountant /UDC / Tax Assistant / Compiler .
The recruitment for these posts is done in various departments of Central Secretariat Service / Central Vigilance Commission / Intelligence Bureau / Ministry of Railways / Ministry of External Affairs / Ministry of Defence / CBI and a few other Ministries / Departments / Organisations of the Central Govt.
Graduation from a recognized University is the minimum Educational Qualification required. The candidate who is appearing in final year can also apply.
CGL is conducted in 4 levels Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 & Tier 4 based on 10th and 12th standard. Each paper having the different type syllabus and pattern.
Preliminary Examination or Tier 1:
The 4 sections are:
General Intelligence(25 questions, +2 for correct answer, -0.5 for wrong answer)
English Language(25 questions, +2 for correct answer, -0.5 for wrong answer)
Quantitative Aptitude(25 questions, +2 for correct answer, -0.5 for wrong answer)
General Awareness(25 questions, +2 for correct answer, -0.5 for wrong answer)
Total :100 questions -200 marks- 60 mins
Main Examination or Tier 2: –
This is also online based exam. It will contain four papers in which two are mandatory and other are optional.
Quantitative Aptitude: – This is one of mandatory paper consisting 100 questions-marks 200 with 0.5 penalty and 2 hours duration.
English language consist 200 questions. Every question has single marks with 0.25 penalty. 2 hours duration.
It is an optional exam based on graduation standard. 100 questions-marks 200 with 0.5 penalty and 2 hours duration.
Finance & Economics:
It is also an optional exam based on graduation standard. 100 questions-marks 200 with 0.5 penalty and 2 hours duration.
Tier 3 (descriptive test): essay/passage/application/letter writing-qualifying nature
Tier 4 (DEST/CPT):
- computer proficiency test/data entry skill test/document verification-qualifying nature
- Arithmetic number series,
- non-verbal series,
- coding, and decoding.
- Statement conclusion,
- syllogism in reasoning, etc.
- The topics are Semantic Analogy, Symbolic/Number Analogy. Figural Analogy, Ranking test, Semantic Classification, Symbolic/Number Classification. Figural Classification, Input-Output questions, Problem Solving, Word Building, Seating arrangement, Numerical Operations, symbolic Operations. Questions on Dies, Clock, Calender etc
General Awareness Section:
- current affairs,
- basic science,
- Questions are generally centered on India and neighboring countries of the sub-continent.
- Ratio & Proportion.
- Surds and indices.
- LCM and HCF, Averages, Age problems. Simple interest and Compound Interest,
- Profit and Loss,
- Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time & Work, Boat and Streams, Pipes and Cisterns. Numbers, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Heights and Distances.
Divisions and Remainders,mensuration,data intrepetation etc()
- Fill in the Blanks ,
Passage, Spellings/Detecting Mis-spelt words, Sentence improvement, Common errors Synonyms & Antonyms, Jumbled sentences (ordering) ,Idioms & Phrases ,One-word substitution,voice,speech etc
*Quant and English syllabus same for tier 2
*for tier 3 general topics like global warming,earthquake etc or current topics like corona ,ram janma bhoomi etc
- General intelligence-verbal and non verbal reasoning by Rs Aggarwal
- English- plinth to paramount by neetu singh,
- objective english by sp bakshi ,
- a mirror of common errors by AK singh
- Quant Quantitative aptitude by RS aggarwal,play with advance maths/advance maths by rakesh yadav,class notes of rakesh yadav,Quantum cat by sarvesh k verma
General awareness-lucent gk ,ncert from 6-10,current affairs yearly book of arihant or disha
MUST REFER KIRAN/RAKESH YADAV PREVIOUS YEAR BOOKS for all sections